Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Money must be the Root of all Evil

My last post was a nervous yet hopeful one about completing my Dental Hygiene application...Something that now seems fruitless and sad. I was notified by the dental hygiene department Friday that they will not be reviewing any applications at this time. Ir was a very nice thing of the department to do. Notify all the hopefuls immediately and personally. But what is the reason for this development you may ask...

...WEll...

For anyone who hasn't heard The Georgia University System is now being forced to do some MASSIVE cuts to each of the college's budgets! This will effect my college by cutting 1/4 of the budget! WHAT?! That's insane! For other colleges such as UGA they will be forced to get rid of over 1,400 employees! Just think of all the lively-hoods (spell check please) of all those people! Think of the economy! With less jobs there is less income. With less income there is less revenue! That will just make it worse! This is the overall picture!

Each college has been told to make a plan of action. A "cut list". Something they can get rid of.

How does it affect me as a student personally?! My college has decided to cut the Dental Hygiene program completely! My program, my dream career! Meaning they will not review any applications for this year in order to Phase out the program. That is, if the proposal goes through.

Never mind that this program is the reason I chose this college! Or that even now, when going to google and typing in, "Dental Hygiene schools of Georgia" my college is one of the first to pop up! They still Slashed it COMPLETELY!

It's been difficult at school since the news came out. Everyone is worried about how their program is being limited! For instance, The nursing program is being cut by 30 students! 30 Students out of 100! But they COMPLETELY cut Dental Hygiene! Maybe I am biased...Ok I am definitely biased! Even considering this I still feel this development is unfair. So with a little push from my history professor (extra credit works wonders) I have now emailed a few Senators and a House Representative. The email stated :


Hello Senator Harp,
I have been interested in becoming a dental hygienist since I was in 5th grade. With the proposed budget cuts to the Georgia University System I am now unable to do this at the college of my choice. The particular program has been cut. At least that is what is being proposed. This is how the proposed budget cuts will affect me personally.
Although this is horrible, I know it is not the worst that will come from the Budget cuts. Job loss alone will force our economy further into the recession. When people do not have jobs they do not have income. Without income, there can be no capital for businesses.
Also if we believe that the future of Georgia looks bleak now. Wait until the budget cuts cause college attendance to dwindle. Our education system produces the future of Georgia. I would think it is in the best interest of all Georgians to invest as much as possible into the education system. I am under the impression that even the smallest of tax increases can solve this issue.
I urge you to please make an effort to find a better solution. One that will not destroy the higher education of all Georgia college students.


This is the last step that I can do toward this. My awesome sister gave me some words of encouragement and I realize that I have done all that I can do! It is in God's hands! What happens it what is supposed to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment